Thursday, May 3, 2012

I know you've been waiting patiently, so here it is, the next installment of my spring break chronicles. Follow me on a magical journey to...


My friend Gina, her roommate Brooke, their friend Sarah and I spontaneously snagged some super cheap tickets to the island of Kos a while back. None of us had ever heard of this place, but who are we to turn down a trip to Greece?

The hotel we stayed at was awesome:


When we first got there we did some wandering and found a beach bar where we got drinks to celebrate Sarah's 21st birthday and held a parrot named Mickey:


Blue and white were a dominant theme in the color scheme:




There were ancient ruins sitting in the middle of town:


On the second day we rented bikes and set out to try and ride to a beach that we had found on a map. However, we ended up riding down the busiest road on the island with cars honking as they passed. We never found the beach. When we decided to give up, we stopped at a restaurant where the menu was all in Greek, so we had the waiter bring us whatever was good. We had tzatsiki (a delicious cucumber and yogurt dip) and pita, Greek salad, and kebabs, and it was amazing. The ride back was much more scenic because we took the back roads through fields of cows and goats and olive orchards.


That's just Turkey in the background, no big deal


The next day we rented bikes again and rode to the Asclepion, which was a healing temple in honor of the Greek god Asclepius. This is the place where Hippocrates is said to have received his medical training. My inner archaeology geek was in heaven.






 I also enjoyed all of the stereotypical Greek architecture:


Side note: the island of Kos is ruled by CATS! They were everywhere. My inner cat lady was in heaven.

If you've made it this far and you aren't my mother (love you!), thanks for reading and stay tuned for more spring break!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I'll be the first one to comment(again). What beautiful pictures. I really want to be on the next plane. I can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete